Main content of the website

  • font size:A
  • A
  • A

Candidate Information

What is the term length of Municipal Elected Officials?

If elected to a Municipal Council, you will be expected to serve a four year term. Officially, the term begins at noon the day after Election Day. (October 26th, 2022)

Do Municipal Officials received a salary for their service?

Members of Council received compensation, called an indemnity, for their work on Council. Each Council sets the type and rates of payment for members, so the amount of compensation varies amongst municipalities. The Municipal Act requires the Municipality's annual financial statement to show the amount of compensation.

What are the qualifications to run for Municipal Council?

You may run for Municipal Office if you:

  1. Are a Canadian citizen;
  2. Are at least 18 years of age on Election Day;
  3. Are a resident of Manitoba;
  4. Are a qualified voter of the municipality (you have either resided or owned property in the municipality for at least six months); and
  5. Have not been disqualified from running under The Municipal Act, or any other Act (see below for examples of disqualifications).

You are strongly encouraged to speak with the Senior Election Official if you have any questions about your qualifications.

You may not run for Municipal Office if you:

  1. Are a judge of the Court of Queen's Bench or the Court of Appeal;
  2. Are a provincial judge of justice of the peace;
  3. Are a member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba or the Senate or House of Commons of Canada;
  4. Are a sitting member or are nominated for office in another municipality or school division;
  5. Are an employee of the municipality, unless you have been granted a leave of absence; or
  6. Have been disqualified, for any of the following reasons:
    1. Have committed an election offence, and are barred from running in the municipal election;
    2. Have been convicted under The Municipal Act or any other Act and have not paid the fine imposed;
    3. Have been convicted of a fine punishable by imprisonment for five or more years;
    4. Have been convicted under The Criminal Code (Canada) under any of the following sections: 122 (breach of trust by public officer), 123 (municipal corruption), 124 (selling or purchasing office), or 125 (influencing or negotiating appointments or dealings in office);
    5. Cease to be qualified as a voter in the municipality; or
    6. Breach the requirement of confidentiality for a matter that is discussed at a council meeting closed to the public.

Can I run for office in a Municipal Election if I am a Federal Public Servant?

Before seeking nomination as, or being, a candidate in a Federal, Provincial or Municipal Election, Federal Public Servants subject to the political activities provisions (Part 7) of The Public Service Employment Act are required to obtain permission from the Public Service Commission and, if applicable, a leave of absence without pay during the election period. To find out more about your legal rights and responsibilities regarding political activities, visit

May I hold elected office in a school division and municipality at the same time?

You may not run for Municipal Office if you are a sitting member, or are nominated to run for office, in another local authority (including a school division). You may not run for School Division Office if you are a sitting member, or are nominated to run for office, in another local authority (including a municipality).

If I register to run for Head of Council, am I later able to change my registration to run for Councillor instead?

A person can only be nominated for one office. When a person registers as a candidate, they must state the office that they are registering for (ie., Head of Council or Councillor). If a candidate registers for one office, then decides to run for a different office instead, they must notify the SEO in writing of the change.

Candidates will be subject to the campaign finance rules regarding expense limits for the office that they are seeking.

Candidates will also be required to file an Election Finance Statement for both of their campaigns by the deadline(s) established in the municipality's by-law, even if they did not receive any contributions or incur any expenses in one or both campaigns.

When can I start Campaigning?

You must register before you can begin to accept contributions and spend money on your campaign. To register, you must fill out a Registration Form, available from the SEO.

When can I register?

Candidates must register within a certain time-frame.

  • Mayor candidates must register between May 1, 2022 and September 20, 2022.
  • Councillor candidates must register between June 30, 2022 and September 20, 2022.

Can the Public View my registration form?

Yes, your registration form is kept in the possession of the Senior Election Official. Interested members of the public may view it during the Senior Election Official's regular office hours.

Are there any rules about spending money for my campaign, or reporting the amounts I spend?

Yes. Campaign finance rules are in place for Municipalities under The Municipal Act. A copy of the Rural Municipality of La Broquerie's Campaign By-Law will be included with the registration form.

Can I pick up nomination papers when I register?

Yes. The SEO will have nomination papers available for you when you register.

How many people need to nominate me to run for office?

At least one percent of the eligible voters in your municipality must sign in support of your nomination. These voters must appear on the municipality's voters list to be considered eligible. For example, if there are 1,679 eligible voters, you must obtain at least 17 signatures. The maximum number of signatures you must obtain is 25 - the minimum is two. Talk to the SEO to ensure you know the minimum number of signatures you need on your nomination form.

When do I have to file my nomination papers?

All candidates must file nomination papers, available from the Senior election Official, in order to run for election. While signatures on nomination papers may be collected before, nomination papers must be filed during the nomination period. The nomination period is:

  • September 14th to September 20th, 2022

If you are not available to submit your nomination papers in person during the nomination period, you can make arrangements to submit your papers to the Senior Election Official by fax or through an agent.

Can the public view my nomination papers? 

Yes, once you file your nomination papers, they are kept in the possession of the Senior Election Official. Interested members of the public may view them during the Senior Election Official's regular office hours.

What if I decide I don't want to run for office after I've filed my nomination?

If you file your nomination, and then decide that you do not want to run for office, you may withdraw your name under certain conditions. Your withdrawal will only be accepted up until 24 hours after the nomination period closes, and only if enough candidates remain to fill the offices. You must sign your withdrawal in the presence of a witness, and file it with the Senior Election Official during office hours.

Can I have campaign signs at the voting place on Election Day?

There are strict rules regarding political activities at voting places. Any activity in contravention of the Act may be considered an election offence and could have serious repercussions. No person may, within 50 metres of a voting place:

  • Distribute pamphlets, buttons or other items referring to the election, or a candidate;
  • Wear or display any item that refers to the election or a candidate; or
  • Post or display a sign or poster referring to the election or a candidate.

If a candidate's sign is located within 50 metres of a voting place on Election Day, an election official is empowered by legislation to remove it, or may order the candidate or official agent to remove it or obscure it immediately. A person that contravenes a provision of The Municipal Councils and School Boards Elections Act is guilty of an election offence.

I have been asked by a candidate to act as scrutineer. What does a scrutineer do?

The role of the scrutineer is to assist the candidate with tracking the progress of the vote on Election Day (and any alternative voting opportunities, such as advance or sealed envelope voting), to raise legitimate objections regarding a voter's qualifications, and to observe the ballot count after the voting places close.

Scrutineers are also entitled to be present at any alternative voting opportunities, such as advance voting or to observe the sealed envelope ballot count. It would be helpful to check with the Senior Election Official to get a complete sense of the responsibilities and authorities of scrutineers.

The appointment of a scrutineer must be made in writing and filed with the Senior Election Official. The Senior Election Official will have a standard form that can be used for the appointment. The scrutineer must bring a copy of this form to present to the voting official while on duty. The scrutineer should also keep a copy of the appointment form at all times so that the scrutineer can identify themselves when asked.

How many scrutineers is a candidate allowed to appoint?

The legislation states that a maximum of two scrutineers (per candidate) are entitled to be present at a voting station at one time. However, a candidate can appoint as many scrutineers as he / she would like.

Is a candidate entitled to act as a scrutineer?

A candidate is entitled to undertake the duties of a scrutineer or may assist scrutineers. However the rule still applies that there may be no more than two scrutineers at a voting station at one time.

Is the scrutineer able to wear or display anything that shows they represent a particular candidate?

On Election Day, scrutineers may wear a badge or ribbon indicating, by colour alone (not name), the candidate they represent. No other person may wear anything that identifies the person as a supporter of the candidate.